Dear Kata, this is what you promise to yourself for 2012:
- Read more. Much more than before. Especially focus on reading Russian authors (at least classics) in Russian and English/American authors (dig more into both classics and contemporary literature) in English.
- Draw more. Buy and fill a proper sketchbook with observational drawings, focus on faces, arms and animals, architecture. Find a way to do that in geometric but not too primitive style.
- Dig deeper. In anything that interest me. Research now as much or more as I used to research issues back in university - with proper sketchbooks, also write more while researching, stop being such a superficial dilettante as I was in 2011. This promise is especially focused on researching costume history, folk ornaments of different nations, visual propaganda and advertising history history / politics in general, fashion illustration, patterns, collages, marketing basics, hand-written typography, typography in general, art history and personalities (biographies) that interest me. Dig deeper, one issue at a time.
- Write more. Take out of my head all those half-stories, characters that live their own life in my head, but never on paper. Give at least few hours per week for writing, re-writing what was written, and try to write a full story, not one of those typical-to-me half stories that have no ending or too many words that lead to wrong direction and distract me from actual story-line.
- Send more self-promotional cards to editorial art directors in UK, EU and USA. More than once per year.
- COLLAGE MORE. After graduating from Kingston I somehow managed to work in vector all the time, and very rarely cut out something from paper and glue to other piece of paper. This is really bad, and it really starts to scare me, so I promise to actually open my plastic folder of colored card and cut-outs from magazines (the folder, that I always take with me to Moscow and back to Vilnius whenever I change location few times per year).
- Try new things, go to new places.
- (+ few silent promises that could not be told out loud)